The following is a presentation prepared for Ignite Tulsa #2. It talks about how small businesses are using social media effectively.
For more details on what the businesses highlighted in the presentation are doing right see:
- Interview with Troy Vosseller: Example of a Small Business Using Twitter Right
- 47% Traffic Spike to Travel Agency Website from Small Business Facebook Page. All in only 1 Month
- CHALLENGE: Attract a Crowd to Your Small Business Using Twitter and Facebook. Heres how . . .
- One Taco Truck Draws Crowds in LA Area. Business Grows to 3 Trucks. Twitter Spreads the News
Making a Better Ignite Presentation
An Ignite presentation includes twenty slides. And your talk lasts 5 minutes. Each slide advances every 15 seconds. Because of this format, you have to really tighten the focus of your talk.
Here are my notes “to self” about making a better Ignite presentation:
- Choose a topic that isn’t directly work related
- Go through a quick rehearsal BEFORE you turn your slides in. Don’t just turn your slides in and think you’ll make the talk fit the slides later.In this presentation my last slide was of Adam Sandler’s Little Nicky releasing the good. This made perfect sense before rehearsing my talk. But after rehearsing, it didn’t fit. Rehearsing before turning in your slides makes a better presentation.Common sense, right? What was I thinking?
- Limit your talk to 3 – 5 major points.I highlighted six businesses in this presentation. Highlighting three businesses would’ve given people better information in the allotted time.
- Create more segments of two to three slides illustrating one point. 15 seconds is too short. It doesn’t give you enough time to explain major points well.
- Make sure you have fun
This was my Ignite maiden voyage. I enjoyed meeting people in my community involved in social media and technology. Some of the presentations were fun. And I learned a few things from the other presentations (they had free beer too). All in all, this was a good experience that I recommend.
Here is a video of my talk:
Are you interested in Ignite events in your area? Then go to http://ignite.oreilly.com/. If you’re in the Tulsa area go to http://ignitetulsa.org/.
“Giving You the Power to Fight the Big Boys!”